Wednesday, November 19, 2008

what's your favorite groucho quote?

a blogger friend is starting a virtual book club.

"I'd love to be a member of a book club, it would kick start my old love of reading (which has to be good thing, right?) and it would be fun and fascinating to share opinions with others.
The trouble is, I just don't have space in my life to fit in book club get-togethers. So I had this idea...I will create a blog where my very own book club bloggers can meet and choose books to read and discuss. What do you think? Good idea, daft idea?
Would anyone like to join me? Any thoughts on the first book?"

hey, it sounds like a goofy enough of an idea to me. i like to read. i'm pretty opinionated. i don't have real friends...so why the heck not?

i looked at a bunch of books from this website and suggested 3:

the life of pi - because it's about the only one i've heard about before.
a short history of tractors in ukrainian - because the title made me laugh.
and rites of passage - because the author, william golding, is one of my favorites.

lily's got synopses of all 3 on her site. check it out.

oh, and my favorite groucho quote?
"outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

9 comments:

Lily said...

Thank you! You do realise you've just become the Book Club's official PR person now?!

rilera said...

It does sound interesting!

cornbread hell said...

lily, that could be problematic considering i've been without the intornet for 15 1/2 of the 16 hours since posting that.

rilera - then join us?

Lily said...

Tut, you just can't get the staff.

cornbread hell said...

wtf? is that some ancient egyptian or albion lingo?

josephine terese said...

i'm in! exciting

rainbowheart said...

sounds like a good idea...I love to read. Just finished Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote. It was a really good book being all I usually read is John Grisham or James Patterson. sign me up....

rainbowheart said...

oh, who is groucho? Would that be Groucho Marx or Ocscar the Grouch? LOL

Paxton Carnegie Library said...

Have you guys considered creating a users' group on librarything.com?